These lemony cranberry-studded muffins crunch lightly with cornmeal and are topped with a kiss of sugared lemon zest. They’re great warm from the oven, but also keep well for a few days and freeze beautifully.
Total: 1 Hour * Serving: 12
· 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
· ¾ cup nonfat plain yogurt
· ⅓ cup canola oil
· 1 large egg
· 3 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, divided
· 2 tablespoons lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
· ½ cup cornmeal, preferably medium or fine stone-ground
· 2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 1 ½ cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
· (thawed), coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium bowl.
3. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt mixture and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in cranberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the tops of the muffins.
4. Bake the muffins until golden brown and they spring back lightly to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: 1 Muffin Per Serving: 186 calories; protein 3.9g; carbohydrates 28.8g; dietary fiber 2.6g; sugars 12.4g; fat 6.8g; saturated fat 0.6g; cholesterol 15.8mg; vitamin a iu 42.8IU; vitamin c 4.7mg; folate 5.9mcg; calcium 81.5mg; iron 2.4mg; magnesium 11.2mg; potassium 95.9mg; sodium 254.6mg; added sugar 10g. Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Fat